As the US electorate make their way to the polls in their droves to vote for either Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump, several surveys and exit polls will be released on the night, predicting how many votes each candidate will receive.
The latest exit poll to be released saw Clinton with an estimated 202 votes in comparison to her competitor who picked up only 164, whilst a final state poll for Arizona resulted in 46.3% for Trump and 42.3% of the votes for Clinton.
Exit polls may provide a bit of pre vote casting excitement, however, they, along with surveys, can’t always be relied upon to determine just how an election will pan out.
Two different forms of YouGov polls were used on the night of EU Referendum and both produced different results which were not accurate as to what actually happened.
A telephone poll showed that 78% were in favour of Remaining in the EU whilst the remaining 22% believed that Brexit would be the outcome.
YouGov’s online polls differed and predicted the correct result with the 63% of voters in belief that the Leave campaign would win, 27% for the Remain camp. This wasn’t an accurate reflection in the final result as Brexit reigned victorious by a smaller margin than predicted as 52% of the UK voted to leave with 48% voting remain.
With the EU Referendum result being the complete opposite to which many predicted, it goes to show that the only polls which matter are the ones which count the votes of the millions of US citizens who took to the polling booths on election day meaning that it won’t all be plain sailing for Clinton who many are predicting to be the next President of the United States.